Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"Hey Bert, you need Least Bittern?"

That's what I asked him when I called him Tuesday afternoon. His response was "where do you have it?". When I told him it was in my car all heard was silence on the other end. Eventually he said he'd be right over. By now you're probably wondering what the heck I was talking about. What happened was I was driving across the Mauricetown Causeway and I spotted an interesting looking bird lying dead along the roadside (I thought it was a rail). I stopped to check it out and found this Bittern, that was still alive. He had a head injury and wasn't looking too good so after I took a picture of him I put him in a canvas bag to recuperate. When Bert arrived the Bittern was a bit more lively, but he couldn't stand and I doubt he will make it. I released him in the marsh near some good habitat just in case. I was amazed at how small he was! He fit neatly in the palm of my hand (note the fly biting me!), they should call them "Pocket Bitterns". The biting insects are out in force in Cumberland County right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment