Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Getting Hot!

After a slow, cold, depressing morning trying to find good birds I stopped for a coffee.  With the vulture of death (see pic) looking over our route I decided to spend the afternoon along the beachfront where i know the spots pretty well and hoped to find some positives.  The bad weather and rain made for good seabirding and I quickly hit the jackpot and had in quick succession all 3 Scoter,  dozens of Gannets, C. Loon, Purple Sandpiper, 3 RB Mergansers, C. Eider, Long-tailed Duck, 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 2 Great Cormorants, a N. Harrier, Red Knots, Tri-colored Herons, Little Blue Herons, Peregrine, and several other needed birds!  Wow.  It got better fast and I was now confident again that we had what we needed to win, so I met Bert at Lucky Bones for a beer and some strategy talk for Wednesday.  Such is the ups and downs of scouting...

Mike

p.s. The young Eagle in the first pic (taken through my sun roof) tried to eat a Swan chick at Heislerville.  Big mistake as the adult Swan's beat the living daylights out of him!  It was fun to watch, but I was routing for the Eagle this time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment