Friday, May 14, 2010

Flipflop at Brig...Bar-tailed Godwit!

Thursday I went to scout Brigantine in the morning to convince myself it wasn't worth going there this year since reports were so dismal.  Well,  I ended up doing just the opposite.  In short order I found both Bitterns, 2 Ring-necked Ducks, BW Teal, Caspian and Gull-billed Tern, and both Harrier and Peregrine and that was BEFORE the good stuff.  As I started down the South Dike I had 2 adult White-faced Ibis right along the road (see pic) and a bit further along I found a large flock of shore birds with 5 White-rumps and a real prize of a Western Sandpiper.  They are very rare in Spring here and this bird was mostly in alternate plumage.  Between the Peregrine Tower and the end of the South Dike a spotted what I assumed was gonna be a Marbled Godwit, but it didn't seem right.  It seemed short and had an all dark bill, and no streaks on the flanks and breast.  The breast was a uniform rich chestnut and I jumped out of the car for my scope.  I had a life bird!  I figured it was a Bar-tailed Godwit, so I called my friend Michael O'brien (who wrote The Shorebird Book) to go over the ID details.  While talking to Michael the bird took off and I could see the white tail and the white extended up the back in a wedge.  It also had white under wings, ID confirmed!!  Suddenly Brig wasn't so bad after all....  Picture (so-so) attached of the Godwit.

Oh yeah,  I also found a Wigeon and 2 Willow Flycatchers on my way out.  

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment