Friday, May 6, 2011

Fwd: Scouting Highlight from Day-1


Today I spent most of the day checking every back bay and lagoon from Sea Isle City to Cape May in search of ligering waterfowl.  It's probably about as boring a day scouting as I could devise, but very necessary.  You check EVERY spot you can access, get out, scan, see nothing, go to next spot, and so on and so on.  I didn't find too much ( Horned Grebe, Red-throated Loon, Bufflehead, and some RB Mergs), but I now have something to watch for over the next week.  One thing I did find today was a Yellow-crowned Night Heron Nest visible from the road.  Now that's something we can use.  I still decided to check another spot for them even though I had a "gimme" on the WSB since they were on eggs.  What I found was a female YCNH being courted by 2 different males!  It was really intense as these 2 males displayed to her (she ignored them) and tried for her attention.  One of the males finally broke off a branch and handed it to her and she promptly flew away with it!  Here are a couple of pics I took, but it was inside the trees and lighting was terrible, so excuse the photos.   I've only rarely seen this display and they only do it a few days every Spring.

Enjoy (I did)...

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment